Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Obama's puppy

The president is getting his new puppy today, a portugese water dog. He is taking flack over the type of puppy he has bought his two little girls. Now I am not an Obama supporter at all, but in this instance I finally think he did something right. He initially said he was going to get a shelter or rescue puppy, but the puppy came from a breeder. The puppy was placed in a home and returned back to the breeder before being placed with the Obama's. Therefore the whitehouse states it is a rescue, but really it's not. I would have liked the puppy to have been a little younger to bond better with the girls, but with all the extra staff to help train the puppy I'm sure it will do fine. Unlike a shelter puppy the Obama's know exactly what they are getting as far as shedding(since one child is allergic) and temperament. There are many great dogs in shelters and rescues, but there are reasons why they are there and it takes a devoted new owner to overcome those issues. I would not put my kids in that situation. You rarely know the history of these rescue dogs, and most were not socialized and trained properly, so they have potential to have unpredictable behaviors. I have seen many success stories and many nightmares from these types of dogs. I wouldn't want to chance the nightmare with my young kids. So a purebred that has been raised properly by the breeder/ owner that is predictable is the way to go. I applaud Obama for keeping his family's best interest in mind. If everyone bought from reputable breeders that are committed to their puppies there would be no need for shelters and rescues. These places are just dump sites for owners who did not research and didn't take the time to bond with and train their dogs. Except for those unfortunate circumstances were owners die or lose their homes then the shelters are a haven, but most dogs are given up do to behavior issues. And when you adopt there is most always a fee, so in reality you are buying a dog even from a shelter.. The term rescue has become so overused. I hear people tell me they rescued the dog from a breeder cause the cage was small or they didn't like the conditions etc. In reality they bought a dog from someone they felt was unreputable just making the pet problems worse by supporting these people since they felt sorry for the puppy. I don't think there will ever be a total solution to the pet problems, but I think Obama made a good choice.

No comments: