Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pickling

My cucumbers aren't they pretty. This is just one small bucket of them.
Here are the slices.

Here are the spears.


Pots all ready to go. The small silver one in the back is for sterilizing jars and lids. The black one is to heat the pickling liquid. The large silver one is the canner for the warm water processing bath.



Here I am filling jars. First I wash and cut the cucumbers. Then I wash the jars and sterilize them in boiling water. Then I fill the jars with the cucumbers. Then I fill the jars with the hot pickling liquid, leaving a small amount of space at the top. Then I wipe the rim of each jar clean with a damp cloth. I place a lid on the jar and fasten it down with the ring. Then the jars go into the boiling water bath. 5 minutes for pints and 10 minutes for quarts.




Here is the fruits of my labor 28 pints of pickles. This is just the first batch I have done two more since for a grand total of 54 pints of pickles so far. Probably have one more picking to go and I have also let some grow into cucumbers to share with family members. funny thing is I don't even like cucumbers or pickles. My husband loves pickles so these are all for him. Safe to say he won't go hungry even if I go on a cooking strike.






No comments: