Saturday, November 21, 2009

Special Clients

It's weird but sometimes impossible not to become attached to some of our clients. Not just the furry pets, but the people who love and care for them at the other end of the leash. There are many of my clients who I have a wonderful relationship with. Today I saw several in fact, but one holds a very special place in my heart. He is an elderly man who I didn't see much at first with his pets, his live in girlfriend always brought them in. She was a hoot, always had a very strong opinion about things, and wasn't afraid to voice it. She was terribly funny, and at the same time terribly sweet. She did loads of volunteer work, going to other countries to lend a helping hand. She was a nurse and had a passion for rescuing old racing greyhounds. She had four of her own and several cats. She also would make the most heavenly coconut macaroons and bring them into the office. She was special. Two years ago she died of lung cancer leaving her boyfriend to care for their many aging pets. He is sweet and kind and a very good friend of mine. Sometimes I think he just needs some one to talk to, so my check ins are usually a bit longer with him. We talk about all sorts of things like his brothers and sisters and places he's going, just chatting about everything. In the past two years he has lost his girlfriend, three of their greyhounds and one of their cats and his mother. He is such a strong man, and I don't know how he keeps a smile on his face, but he does. I have been there for the loss of each one and shared the stories of his girlfriend and mother with him. Today we helped his third dog over the rainbow bridge, I felt so sorry for him. He was upset and being a Saturday the front office was full of others as he checked out all teary eyed with our receptionist. In his state of grief most folks would pay and leave. But as he started out the door he turned and thanked me before he left. Thanked me for putting down his friend. What a wonderful soul. I'm glad he's my friend.

No comments: