Friday, May 8, 2009

32nd MVLRC Specialty Show

Today I was up bright and early at 5 am to head off to hamilton Ohio for the 32nd annual Miami Valley Labrador Retriever Club Specialty. This is a show for only labradors no other breeds allowed! Two days of nothing but labs, my little bit of mother's day heaven (this show is always held mothers day weekend). I have been a club member for 3 years and have worked the show the last three years. I work as a ring steward. That is like the judges assistant. I hand out arm band numbers to everyone call them in the ring and make sure the prizes are ready to go when the judge is. I also must keep records on which dogs are there and who wins. I always steward the sweeps ring. The sweeps ring is a show only for puppies 6 months to 15 months( the ages are divided into 3 month increments), and veterans, dogs 7 and over. Instead of competing for points the dogs compete for a ribbon and small cash prize. It is fun and hopefully you make back a little of your entry fee. Since I was working I didn't get any photos though. Bummer. But with over 200 labradors entered I am in sensory overload. I love looking at all the fine quality looking labs around. These dogs seem to only come out at shows. I never see dogs that look this good in my office or on the street. I only see them sparwled out in my yard. Such a shame these are the responsible breeders people should be buying from. I got to see some of the top dogs in the country today. Folks come from all over the country for this show. I was happy to see two stud dogs I had been looking at, they were very nice. But the highlight was the fact that I got to see this years Westminster winner. CH. Beechcroft Study's Top Secrect. Otherwise known as James. He was a gorgeous dog, but so were many others there today. I was privileged to be in the presence of such great dogs. Now I am home with my great dogs as Stryker lays here and pants on my feet as I write. I love my labradors!

No comments: