Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fourteen Years And Counting

Fourteen years that is how long it's been since I tied the knot with my hubby. We met right after my 16th birthday. Actually I had known him and had my eye on him since I was 13, we went to the same church, but he payed me no bother till I developed boobs. Guess that's just the way life goes. Anyway he was going to college about 2 1/2 hours away so after our first date he had to hurry off to school. I really liked him, but figured I wouldn't be hearing from him again. I was so surprised when he showed up on my doorstep two weekends later unannounced asking if I wanted to go to a movie. I had just got out of the shower and was in my pajamas and looked a fright. I was sooooo embarrassed. But I quickly threw it together and the rest was history. He continued to come up about every two weeks to see me for the next year. Mom even took me down to see him at school a few times. Our phone bills were crazy high since we talked every night. After school was out for the summer we were together all the time. I am sure my mom got sick of having him around all the time. Our favorite date was to rent movies and snuggle on my couch. By fall he was working at a local sporting goods store waiting for me to finish my last year of high school. We got engaged in September it was a story book proposal in the middle of a shopping mall with everyone clapping when I said yes. As senior year drew to a close I was so busy with graduation, college plans, wedding plans, and finding us an apartment. I got married 2 weeks after graduation. I was 1 month away from turning 18 so my mom still had to sign for me. We moved 2 1/2 hours away to Richmond Kentucky as I started undergrad and he started grad school. Everyone thought we were crazy. You could tell when you told people and they smiled at you that they were thinking sure this is going to last, she's only 18. Even family was skeptical. Well hah! Showed them! Of course we've had our ups and downs, what marriage hasn't. But we love each other and always work through it. As mad as I may get sometimes I can't imagine him not being there. We are lucky and really don't have too many disagreements and the ones we do have are usually over really stupid things like who got who the best anniversary present. I realized today that if you count the time we dated I was 16 when I met him and I have been with him for the last 16 years weird to think I've been with him half my life. So here is to 14 years and many many more.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I remember way back in high school thinking that you were very lucky to have found the man that you were going to spend the rest of your life with. I thought it was so great that you had someone to support you through that next phase in life. (At the time, college and growing up seemed so scary to me.) I thought that you and Chris were really great together, and I am so happy to see that you still are a great couple with a beautiful family! Congratulations on 14 years of marriage and best wishes for many more to come!