Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Abs Of Steel Labrador Style




I swear to goodness that no other dog in the world could do this except a labrador. They have stomachs that are made

of iron. They can eat the grossest greasiest nastiest foods and objects and come back feeling great and wanting more. If you remember back to January 9th the day my purse was stolen my day started with a missing dog leash, all that was left was a small piece and the clasp, see the bottom photo. Well my puppy pooped out a few small pieces but certainly not a lot. I watched her like a hawk for the next week for signs of a intestinal obstruction (Vomiting, not eating, painful belly) She was fine and I put the idea out of my head. Then on February 9th one full month later my other dog Styrker vomited up this oblong brown object. Upon closer inspection it turned out to be 14 inches of curled up leash, See the top photo. He then proceeded to eat dinner 15 minutes later like it was no big deal.Then about a week later he pooped out another 12 inch section of leash. and the next day pooped out a few small shredded pieces of leash. I still am not sure we have the entire leash yet. I hope so, but I'm on the look out. I can't believe he isn't dead or have some sore of peritonitis from rotting bowel loops. Who ever heard of keeping a leash in your intestinal tract for over a month. And who ever heard of swallowing such long pieces, I can't imagine how that felt going down. The whole time he never missed a meal, acted ill, or missed producing normal stool. Any other dog would be sick or dead. I am so lucky I have Mr. iron stomach. I can't imagine what I would have done if this had killed him, and it easily could have. So folks keep an eye on those mischievous labs you never know what they might eat.

1 comment:

Lara Harris said...

OMD!I guess he REALLY wanted to go on a walk that day?!Thank God he is ok...I recently heard of a Golden that nearly died after chewing a leather glove...a string almost cut off part of it's bowel.Luckily she survived and is currently recovering.