Thursday, February 26, 2009

Visiting The Amish

I live about 30 minutes from an Amish community, so this morning my son and I picked up my mother and drove out to the Amish store. We had a great time looking at all the fine woodworking, but my main goal was to find powdered cheddar cheese. I have been looking for it at a couple of grocery stores, but I am either too dumb to find it or they don't sell it. So I figured the Amish might have some, and I wasn't disappointed. I bought two containers. I plan on making homemade goldfish crackers with it. I have a great recipe that calls for shredded cheddar, but you need to put it through a food processor. I don't have a food processor so I tried using my blender and I wound up blowing up my blender. So hopefully powdered cheese will make life easier. Well I just couldn't leave with only cheese powder, so I stocked up on bread flour and yeast. Their pricing on these items was very good. I am trying my hand at bread making and hope to make some bagels soon too. I got some cornmeal for homemade English muffins. My goal is to not have to by these things at the store because they are loaded with preservatives, but to make my own and make them healthier. We'll see how it goes since time is always a precious commodity at my house. Well I also left with some specialty cheeses (habenaro/jalapeno, and sharp white cheddar). I also picked up a small package of homemade butter. I know not healthy but a little on warm homemade bread, heavenly. I picked up some fire balls and root beer barrels for my hubby since he has a bit of a cold. I thought they would soothe his throat. I also bought a special candy sprinkle that I had never been able to find before. It is like the ones on little Debbie cosmic brownies. My son loves those little Debbie brownies so I was hoping to recreate my own version of them. Hopefully he will eat them. Just another small step in trying to rid my house of high fructose corn syrup. Then on a whim I picked up a wasabi trail mix. Very good and spicy. These weren't things I really needed, but I am so excited about baking with all of them. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

oh my goodness! That looks good! I bet that was fun. I'd love to do that some day!