Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Healthier Superbowl

I know it's not Wednesday, but it is Superbowl Sunday, and the only thing as important as the big game is the food. This year I opted to find healthier ways to make some of the more common Superbowl foods. The first is my buffalo hot wing bites with a little blue cheese dressing and celery, and next my famous oven fries with malt vinegar. It tastes just like something from applebee's Anyway for the hot wing bites I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. I trimmed off any remaining fat from them used a meat tenderizer on them and then cut them into bite sized pieces. It put them in an airtight container and poured Frank's red hot sauce on them and let them sit in the fridge overnight. Then I placed them on a cookie sheet added a few bread crumbs on top for crunch factor and baked them for about 10 to 12 minutes at 450 degrees. I served them with real blue cheese dressing. I know not the healthiest form, but I have to let my husband splurge a little.
For the oven fries I cut up some Idaho potatoes and tossed them in some olive oil. I placed them on a cookie sheet and sprinkled them with a little sea salt. I baked them at 425 degrees for about 30 to 35 minutes. Then we poured malt vinegar over them. Yum!

This is a little different take on my husbands favorite party snack. They are called pickle snacks. I usually use large sandwich sized slices of pepperoni, cream cheese and pickle spears. However I have switched to using turkey pepperoni it is much healthier as far as pepperoni goes. I could only find them in the pizza sized pepperoni. So I spread a little low fat cream cheese on them and then used pickle slices on top. My hubby said they met his approval. Trust me he would let me know if they didn't.By the way my pickles are homemade from our garden , but I like valasic zesty pickles if using store bought ones.


Hopefully you had a good Superbowl Sunday and enjoyed rooting for your favorite team.

No comments: