Saturday, February 21, 2009

Basketball and Cheerleading Week One

Well my hubby is out of town again. He was supposed to be gone for a week, but his trip got cut down to just 3 days Yeah! So today I was the single mom taking her 2 little ones to school functions. I was really nervous, because this year was our son's first year to play a sport. That meant he not only had to sit through an hour of his sister cheer leading, but he had to listen to a coach and follow directions for another hour. I know he really needs to do this, cause he starts school in the fall and he never goes anywhere but grandma's house. He recently started library school. My mom takes him, but he has had two really good days there and one not so good. So I was worried cause you really never know what you are going to get with him. Today was a great day!!!! We got there a little before 9am.We picked up his team shirt and got changed. He is number 9. He comment was wow now I'm part of the team. I sent him out on the floor with the other kids and my daughter and I perched on the bleachers to watch. My daughter was bored and mad that I wouldn't let her run the halls of the school with the other boys her age. Oh well mean mom strikes again. My son at first had a little trouble learning to go to the back of the line (this was his first time ever lining up), but he soon caught on. They practiced dribbling and shooting. He needs some work, but he is probably the youngest kid out there. His team range goes from age 5 to 1st grade. our son is 5 but not yet in kindergarten. So anyway they then had to sit down and listen the the head coach talk. Our son looked bored but at least he stayed seated. Then they got to play a mock game. At first he didn't get the running back and forth on the court thing, but again he picked it up pretty quickly. They also gave each kid a different colored armband. You were supposed to guard the child on the other team with the same colored armband as you. Our son never quite picked up on that. He did get frustrated because the same kid kept getting the ball. I saw him sulk his way down the court and he wound up sitting in the middle of the court next to the coach. The coach talked to him and next time down the court he had the ball. He was so happy. Then it was time to switch players and he had to sit on the sidelines. I figured this would go badly since he was having such a good time playing. But he sat quietly with the other kids. I was pleasantly surprised. He finished up with boy I wish I could do that again mom. He beamed when I told him he could come back next week.We spent the hour between his game and my daughters cheerleading in the car. They had food inside the gym, but it was expensive and was junk like chips and hotdogs. We went to the car and ate apples and goldfish. We called dad to update him. Then we headed back in. We picked up the cheerlaeading t-shirt and changed. We headed off to the hallway to watch the girls practice. They practiced for about 30 minutes then they went in and cheered for the halftime of the current basketball game. They were so cute. My little girl was front and center I was so proud. I know they are no were near being toghether on these cheers, but that isn't the point at this age it is just good fun. This is her second year cheering and she loves it. After the floor show they cheered on the sidelines for another 30 minutes. my son enjoyed watching the basketball game and was very good. I sure was proud of my two kids today. I can't wait till I am cheering them on at the high school level. Actually I can't wait till next week!!!! Now I just need to find a way to get my son to take off his basketball shirt so I can wash it.

No comments: