Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sickness Sickness

My mom was sick last Friday after putting my kids on the bus for me on Friday she proceeded to go home with a 24 hour intestinal flu. Yuck! Hoping the family doesn't catch it. Saturday I worked all morning and ran errands all afternoon. Dropped our daughter off at a slumber party and my son fell a sleep in the car on the way home. I chalked it up to a long day of running around cause I was tired too. Sunday morning my son woke with a bad headache that made him a bit lethargic. I gave him some medicine and we headed out to pick up his sister. Out of the blue he announces he's going to vomit. I quickly grab our traveling puke bucket which he promptly uses. Oh dear I fear mom's intestinal bug is striking, but not so for he doesn't vomit anymore. Our daughter however informs me a girl at her sleep over when home after vomiting all over the floor where they were sleeping. Just a matter of time I think. Our son spends the rest of his day in his room with a tummy, head, and knee aches and a light grade fever. Monday morning he wakes up good as new. I send him off to school. he comes home covered in a rash from his head to his knees. It's even in his hair and in his ears. His throat looks a little red, but he's not complaining except for the itching. I'm baffled and give him benedryl and ship him off to bed. Tuesday morning he wakes up with the rash now down to his feet and his throat is redder, but still not sore. Hubby takes him to the doctor, while I work. He is pronounced with Scarlet Fever, a form of complicated strep throat. The doctor wants to put him on amoxicillan, but that gives him horrible diarrhea, so they choose a liquid Z pack instead. I hope we have no ill effects from that cause we've never used it before. One more day off school and we should be good. By the way the teacher called to say the girl that sits next to him has scarlet fever and I should consider taking him to the doctor. Tonight his rash is slightly better but he's alert and playing, my daughter however just told me her tummy hurts. Here we go!

2 comments:

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

oh no! We had the stomach flu go threw our house in 3 phases over three weeks. Each of the kids had it twice. I am so glad it's over. Scaret Fever huh? Sounds like a Laura Ingalls Wilder book. That's pretty scary!

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

oh no that is awful!!! hope you all recover and nobody else gets sick.