Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Wierd Day

Things have just been off around our house lately. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm just down. I seem to have no energy or motivation about most aspects of my life right now. Of course the kids and Hubby always brighten my day. Just haven't been in a place to jump out of bed and do my usual peppy 5 am workouts, or to even find the energy to clean the house, boy is it getting dirty. I just feel out of sorts, hoping the spring weather will bring some energy with it, but with snow forecasted for tomorrow night, looks like I'm going to have to wait a little longer. Not to mention I've been struggling with whether or not to add a new pup to our breeding program. My head says it's not the smartest thing to do right now, but my heart is in love with the thought of a puppy running around. I think the fact that our old dog is not doing well has something to do with it. Her joints have gone to hell and a handbasket. Both hips are shot and her right knee is thickened and arthritic. She still is happy and gets up to go out. She has modified the way she plays with the other dogs, by laying down to play so they don't knock her over. She slips and falls from time to time, but will occasionally get a burst of energy and trot a few feet. Pain medicine helps, but not a lot. Her eating habits have slowed and I now am playing the what will she eat today game. She has refused several dog foods, including canned. I have even tried cooking for her which went well for a couple meals, then she balked at that. Currently she has decided to eat a small sized kibble (she has a hard time chewing, even though her teeth are not bad) with a pouch type wet food mixed in. I don't know how long this will last, but for now she's eating and I'm happy. It just really bothers me to see her hurt. I wonder if she suffers or am I reading too much into it. I just can't stand to not see a lab up and running like it should. It doesn't help when there are other old labs that are passing away around me, some in my arms at work. All I can think of is my girl and how I don't want to loose her, so a puppy with a dark yellow coat to replace her right? I think I have all the wrong reasons for a puppy, yet still I want one. I have even contacted a breeder and the pup is mine if I so choose. Now I feel kind of stuck. I don't want to make the breeder mad, in case I want to go to her in the future, but I'm not sure I'm not just having a moment of weakness. Fellow bloggers any advice for my funk?

2 comments:

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

I say you should go see DL or something else you really like to do. I have periods like this a lot. Maybe it's seasonal depression? Not that that's a bad thing either. Sometimes we "Mom's" just need a break. We shut down for a while and then things get better. Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you want to talk. =) I'll post you a song of the day tomorrow!!! Te he he

Darlene Clark said...

Sometimes pets like humans know when their time has come. They just get tired of the fight. We have seen it first hand with Mattie. They just give up, don't want to eat or move. And whether we like it or not we have to understand that it is just their time. I know if you think she is in alot of pain that you will do the right thing when the time comes. Love ya.