Sunday, April 5, 2009

Day of Firsts

Today my husband had to go work a booth at Bass Pro shops for his Quality Deer Management Chapter. At first I was going to go with him, but I was swamped with things that really needed to be done around here. So I stayed home with the kids. We headed out side around 8:45 AM and stayed out till 11 took a short break for lunch and headed out again til nap time at 2pm. The kids played so well together. I started the day with trimming nails and giving heartworm prevention to all the dogs. Then I set off to finish the rabbit cage that I have been trying to rewire for the past two months. I finally finished it and put my weanling litter in it. Then I set about moving the other does and their litters out of the dog crates and into lager rabbit hutches. Then I drug the crates up to the garden and emptied all the fertilizer on it. It was a long way to drag them up hill and they were very heavy. Anyway after those were clean I moved my last pregnant rabbit into one and an hour later she started having her babies. I was just in time, otherwise they would have been born on the wire and most likely would have died. It was cool cause I got to watch them be born. Something I had never seen before. My daughter even got to see. Most rabbits are very discreet with their births and you rarely see the act. Then I spent the rest of the day setting up puppy pens and cleaning the dog yards etc.
As for firsts. The birth of the baby rabbits was one. I didn't get to be outside yesterday cause I had to work so today I saw: 2 five lined skinks ( juveniles with bright blue tails), loads of honey bees out pollinating the dandelions, flies, cabbage butterflies (which the kids promply caught) and my first tick positioned nicely in my son's hair YUCK!
Anyway we had a great time outside today and I love all the spring time flowers and critters. it is such a shame it is supposed to storm here tonight and then turn cold for the better part of next week. I am not happy, but hopefully it will force me to clean the inside of my house. It is starting to need it really badly.

No comments: