Thursday, April 23, 2009

Five Lined Skinks

stunned skinks
hey the house sprung a leak

no kidding head for higher ground


This is not a gieco add



up close and personal




The weather was wonderful today. So My son and I headed outside. He turned the last two puppies left out to play with while I worked on tearing down our existing water garden. We bought this water garden probably 11 years ago. It is about 2 foot around, about the size of a half whiskey barrel. It's made of wood and ceramic tiles. It was made to be put in one spot and left there. Well this poor thing has been moved so many times from indoors to outdoors to different houses. Well it finally has died and can not be saved. We are planning on putting in a brand new water garden in a few weeks. I am so excited. Anyway I moved out our plants into a large animal waterer and caught the mudpuppy and tiger salamander that my husband brought home last week and turned loose in there. Then I tore the poor old water garden down. To my surprise things started slithering around on the ground below as I pulled out the liner. There sat a pair of five lined skinks. They are very fast but they must have been stunned their home was relocating, because they sat still while I ran in to fetch the camera. I think they are so cute. The juvenile forms have a really pretty blue tail, so these must be older ones. I sure enjoyed the photo shoot. Don't worry I am sure I have plenty of places for them to make a new home. My wood pile is over ran with them.

No comments: