Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bathing The Labrador

You would think that bathing a lab would be like bathing any other old dog, and for most people it is. However to properly clean and preserve the coat the way it should be here are a few tips.
Labradors are a fairly clean breed that doesn't require frequent bathing. Most dirt can be brushed from the coat after it is dry, however being farm dogs mine seem to find dirt just about everywhere. Labradors due have a somewhat oily type coat to help make them waterproof. They generally don't have a doggy smell but they do have a distinct labby odor different from other dogs. I generally can't smell it unless I am at an indoor specialty show with about 400 other Labradors, so don't be to concerned with it. Above is Bumpers all ready for her bath.
Here is Bumpers all soaped up. The Labrador coat is one that is supposed to have a bit of a hard feel to it, part of it's water repelling properties. When we bathe them we strip out their natural oils making them less water resistant.


Most folks and groomers just use a regular over the counter dog shampoo and some even use conditioners. Most dogs don't require a conditioner unless they have a skin problem. The regular shampoos strip the oils making the dogs feel soft, which most pet owners prefer. I how ever like to keep the coat as true to form as possible. It also needs this hardness to be competitive in the show ring. There for I use a texturizing shampoo like the one pictured above. I never use conditioners!


This is what I use after the soap is on to get down deep into the coat and work the shampoo in to get the dogs really clean. You can sometimes find these rubber scrubbers in pet catalogs, or you can find them at horse supply stores like TSC.


This is a product a salesman gave me to try and I generally like it, but probably won't spend money to buy it. It is a spray that is sprayed on the wet coat. It binds with the water molecules and helps them be removed easier with towels or blow dryers. I think it does help some.




These are all my supplies ready to go: Shampoo, Quick dry, rubber scrubber, and all importantly the forced air dryer. Mine is dirty from being out in the barn, but it is great for blowing the water out of the coats and also any loose hair. The hair flying around can be messy, but it helps eliminate alot of time brushing and dries the dog fairly well though not completely. I have found my dogs dislike having it used around their ears and feet. A cage dryer would be the next step in getting the dogs completely dry, but I don't have one of those so I finish up with a quick towel off and put them in their crates to finish air drying.





This is Bumpers all blown out.






The most important thing is a good drain catcher to catch all the hair from the bath and the forced air dryer. Ideally I like to bathe the dogs outside with the garden hose to save my drains, but since it is winter I figured a tub bath was in order. I also have a shower head with a hose to reach the dogs well.
Also let it be known as I'm sure you can tell from Bumpers expression my dogs prefer the pond and creek to the tub any day.







No comments: