Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas day

(playing board games with the kids)
Christams day is a day filled with rituals from my childhood, nothing extra special, but just wouldn't be Christmas to me if things played out any differently. Christmas used to be held at my mom's house till we moved into our new house 5 years ago. Since then we have had Christmas here, since I wanted my kids to have the same Christmas memories of our house that I have of my mom's. My mom and brother come down the night before after the kids are fast asleep and spend the night so they are here when the kids wake up to open gifts.
Here is how it plays out. the kids get up and we do Santa stuff. While the kids play with that we adults eat and those of us who drink coffee get our fix. Then the kids open their gifts from Grandma and Uncle. Since they are the only kids in the family they get way more than any kid ever should. Then we unpack a few gifts to keep them busy while the adults take turns opening gifts. When we are done we are off to feed the farm critters, then back in to fix lunch. The menu is the same every year since I can remember. Turkey,gravy,mashed potatoes, sage dressing, oyster dressing, a veggie, and some rolls. Then we lay around like ticks unpacking toys and playing with the kids. Sometimes we get dressed sometimes we don't, but it's never till after lunch. We have dessert mid afternoon, always pumpkin pie, then a small dinner of leftovers in the evening even though none of us are hungry. Then the family goes home and the kids are tucked back in bed, and two exhausted parents reflect on the couch about another great holiday. It is my favorite day of the whole year!
(Me and Mom making Christmas dinner)


No comments: