Tuesday, March 31, 2009

1st Baseball practice

My boy getting the hit
Catching practice with dad

Tonight was the boys first practice at the church ball diamond over in pricetown. I think they did really well. They split the boys into two groups. One group had batting practice while the other group had catching practice then they switched half way through. Our boy is the second smallest boy on the team. Probably one of the younger ones too. It goes up to age 7. My husband helped the coach out by being in charge of the catching part while the coach focused on batting practice.

I think my husband had fun even though the second batch of boys he had were older and more rowdy. I think they were getting a little tired since practice is from 7 to 8pm. My kids are used to going to bed at 8 so they were tired and hungry. So we stayed up till 8:30 and had a snack when we got home. Some of the parents were really critical of their kids and verbally correcting them and telling them their sisters hit better than they do. I didn't hear very many good jobs except from the coaches. I thought this was supposed to be fun at this age. I might try to direct my son but I would try to praise his efforts not criticize them. Well guess I must have a different perspective. I'm not looking for the next Babe Ruth, just some good old fashioned fun. Which is what I felt my son had last night.

He hit a really good ball last night , but I missed it cause I was checking his sisters math homework. Since she was off school sick last week she had 8 math papers front and back to complete. So we did homework during practice. That's why I didn't get many pictures or video. I'm sure there will be plenty more chances though. I got out of the office late but I managed to make it there just as the boys were getting warmed up. So I really didn't miss anything.
After the practice the coach asked my husband to be assistant coach and he accepted. I think its really cool he takes such an interest in the kids, so many dads don't. In fact it was mainly moms at the field last night and one dad who did nothing but sit in his chair and yell at his kid. I am so lucky to have such a great guy. He only had about 3 hours of sleep yesterday to go on but he was there helping with homework for sissy before practice and for our son during it. And the bonus was our boy wore his cup with no fuss. I don't believe it.

Also if you look past the white fence in the background of the photos you will see Ruble cemetry That is were some of the kids early ancestors are burried. In fact the Ruble name is the family name of my fathers side of the family. We have such strong ties to this area.

Catching with dad video & batting with coach video

No comments: