Monday, March 16, 2009

Signs of Spring













Well I think Spring is here even though we still probably have a few more days of cold weather in our future. The first sign of course is my husband going back on third shift to start his fish deliveries. The next is the sound of Spring peepers and other frogs flocking to ponds and shallow pools of water to spawn. We have yet to have a really warm night with a good rain though. My husband and I like to take the kids out herping, that is looking for frogs and salamanders. When the weather is right, a little warm and rainy the critters come crawling out all over the back roads around here. We love to slowly drive the roads and stop and pick up what we find and bring it back to the house for closer inspection in better lighting. Then we turn them back to the wild in our woods. it is very educational for the kids and the adults have fun too. Hopefully we will get a good night soon. But in the mean time we recorded the sounds of the frogs in a shallow pond back in our woods. They can get quite loud around here.


The next sign of spring is that I have mini daffodils blooming. I am not sure what the little purple flowers are. Anyway these flowers are very special. They came from a planter that we bought for my husbands granny's funeral. We wanted something we could plant at home that would come back every year and remind us of her, and the purple flowers remind my husband of the purple pansy's he used to plant with her every year as a child. So these flowers are at the top of the favorites list at our house.

No comments: