Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 BITES

This was my hope for new years eve, cuddled up on the couch with my husband with a roaring fire, watching the new Batman movie, enjoying some shrimp and a new crawfish dish , and of course a little alcohol. But as I was doing some prep work in the kitchen my husband came in from feeding our animals and said you need to go out and look at Miles. I must admit I was annoyed I figured there was something very minor that was a waste of time and I didn't want to get cold. So I bundled up and went out. I found Mile's bottom lip hanging down and swollen. I hopped the fence to inspect. With three other dogs hopping around trying to look at it was futile. So I got Miles out of the fence, but as I was closing the gate he started to gush blood. I knew this was no small thing. I still couldn't get a good look for all the blood. I figured he needed some stitches of some sort. So I shoved him in a crate and went inside to finish up my kitchen work. The whole time thinking my plans for the night are ruined. I will spend at least 3 to 4 hours at the emergency center with him, but maybe while they are sedating him and stitching him I could find a Frisch's or something open and at least get some food. I asked My husband if he wanted to go, at first he said no I'll stay home with the kids. I had planned to drop them off at my mom's. I think he secretly wanted to stay home with his movie and shrimp. Anyway I was a little more collected now. So I returned to my wounded dog with a flashlight in hand. By this time the bleeding had almost stopped. I got a real good look in his mouth. All I saw were some puncture wounds from one of the other dogs teeth and lots of swelling. Nothing that needed stitches thank goodness. We were so lucky it didn't tear the gingiva tissue loose. That is a very hard area to suture. So I knew abscess formation could be in our near future and he already had a slight temperature, so I scavenged through all my dog meds and found some antibiotics. I called my vet a personal friend and my boss to figure out which one to give him. She was very nice since I was interrupting her new years too. I gave him the cephalexin she recommend and I had also found an antibacterial mouth rinse we use on dental patients at work so I rinsed it with that. I later realized my female is in season so that is why we had some doggy tension. Living with intact dogs is no picnic sometimes. I was so relieved to not have to spend new years eve at the emergency center. We enjoyed the rest of our evening and all of our plans. See our beautiful fire above. What a great new years! I even made a resolution, I usually don't, It is to run a 5k sometime this year with my husband. Wish us luck since I don't have the greatest knees and shins. I wish all of you a happy 2009!
Miles' boo boo.

No comments: