Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Day Part 2

After our 6 inches of snow yesterday we woke to at least a quarter inch of ice if not more. After contemplating whether or not we should try the roads we decided to head off to work. My husband would have to take a vacation day if he wanted to stay home, and I knew I was supposed to have a surgery and that I was the only person there in the afternoon. So we bundled the kids warmed up the truck and off we went. The hardest part was trying to get the kids into my mom's house with 6 inches of icy snow crunching beneath our feet.



Well we made it there and started off to work. The roads were not great but they were not the worst we have seen and with little traffic we were making good time. We were still a little behind though so when we reached williamsburg, that is well over half way to my office I called in to let them know I would be there in about 15 more minutes not to worry. My boss tells me oh I am closing the office turn around and go home. I am not too thrilled at this point since I have drug out my kids and wasted my gas. So My husband calls in for the day and we turn around. When I get home I have a message on the machine to call the office. Wish they would have made that decision at 8am when we opened and before I had left the house instead of at 8:43.






Anyway we snuggled in and made so soup and later we are going to make cookies. We cuddled on the couch and watched Wall-E. Kids wanted to play out but with the crunchy ice it is just not going to happen. Now I guess I need to go shovel the driveway for the second time since the snow plow just plowed it shut.





Hello it is snowing go inside crazy dogs!




Awesome Icicles!













The only farm casualty was the netting on top of the turkey pen. It is rated to hold 35lbs. But the ice alone exceeded that. Then the ice made the holes too small for the snow to fall through so it was hopeless. We had to catch the turkeys which really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be then we put them in the chicken coop till we can fix the netting. Let me tell you turkeys are very strong.



















Of course my rabbit decided to have her babies on the nastiest night of the year. I am happy to report we have 8 babies and all are doing well so far. It is really hard to keep them alive in this weather. Thank god for barns, dog crates, and lots of hay. Isn't it cute all naked.





2 comments:

Kathi said...

I can't believe you tried to go to work! I got home Tues night and got the car stuck in the driveway, so I am home-bound till I can get my driveway plowed out.

Don't you love caring for farm animals in the winter? The horses won't leave the barn to walk to the water trough, so I am hauling water for them (again.) Stupid critters. Glad you caught the turkeys.

~Kathi

~Kathi

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

I love the first picture. That's really pretty. Oh my goodness I didn't realise that rabbits were born with out fur.