Thursday, January 15, 2009

Furry Friends Friday With Feathers


















I figured I better post these guys before they are all gone. These are our Golden Comet chickens. They lay pretty brown eggs that taste amazing. There really is nothing like a fresh egg. Nothing in the store can compare to them. Anyway these girls (we don't have a rooster, and no you don't need one to get eggs) have been someones lunch recently. I have lost 2 birds in 2 days. The first one was in the coop with no signs of outside entry. I was very concerned my girls had turned cannibal or something, EWW! Anyway last night I found another one laying next to the fence and my dear husband ventured out in the cold at 9pm to go take a look around for me. He found a couple spots next to the fence where I found her where the ground had been disturbed. No a big disturbance but definitely something had been clawing there a bit and some feathers had been pulled through the wire. I am so glad he is an expert in tracking things especially in the dark. So not sure what is visiting us but it must be fairly small, in comparison to dogs and the coyotes that live behind us. Maybe a mink raccoon opossum ect. Especially since all those critters are also very good climbers and could scale the large trees near the coop and get in that way also. Anyway my 3 remaining girls are locked up tight in their coop today till I can figure out what to do. Hopefully that will help keep them safe, but I can't cage them forever. Wish me luck in thwarting the critters attempts. I guess I'll just have to get more baby chicks come spring don't worry I'll be sure to post lots of cute baby chick pics.

No comments: