Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Reasons I Don't Bird

I will explain this photo in a moment. But first the reasons I'm not a birder.
I know some of the folks who visit my blog are avid birders and I think it is great. I enjoy many of your photos. Some of your birds are beautifully colored and a joy to see. My husband birds from time to time, but it is more in passing anymore. I however am not a birder and here are the reasons why.
1. they always poop all over my car , and its usually purple from the berries they eat, GROSS!
2.they insist on building nests in the tree in front of my bedroom and chirping me awake at god awful early hours
3.my dogs like to eat their poop, esp. goose at the lake
4.they eat my livestock
Anyway let me first start by saying raptors and waterfowl have always been some of my favorite birds as far as birds go. However today Mr. red tailed hawk was struck from my list. I have seen them along fence lines and road ditches eating their kills before thinking that's cool mother nature at work. Well today after a full week of been cooped up I bravely let my chickens out. At dusk when I went out to feed I heard my turkeys puttering and their heads looked really red. Not a good sign I knew then something had been in the chicken pen again. As I headed down I saw a hawk sitting so proudly eating his fresh kill one of my chickens! As I got closer he noticed me and flew off to perch in a tree in the woods, waiting for me to leave so he could finish dinning. He was just out of photo range, dang bird at least let me get a photo. The picture above is of the fence with feathers hanging off it and you can see a little disturbance to the ground were he scratched. Anyway I disposed of his kill and cooped up my 2 remaining girls guess they will be going in with the turkeys now since their pen has a top on it since turkeys fly very well. Well I also know that there are some who enjoy photos of dead things so here is Mr. hawks prize. Don't look if your faint of heart. Really don't it's gross. Guess My birds need a guard dog. Think I could train a retriever not to fetch them but protect them? No I didn't think so either.



1 comment:

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

Not to mention that some birds like to dive bomb your head. Ick!!! Love to look at pictures of birds but that is it.