Sunday, January 18, 2009


After the doctor has reviewed the x-ray with the owner I take it and place it in a large folder with the date patients name and phone number on the outside. Then I file it alphabetically by the last name, like shown above. That way we can find it if we ever need it again.

When we shoot x-rays we must be safe. The gadget above is called a dosimeter. It is specific to me and I have to wear it every time I am in radiology. It measures how much radiation I have been exposed to. Every three months or so we mail them off and we get back a report letting us know how much exposure we have had.



We also must wear clothes to protect our bodies from the radiation. We wear lead aprons and lead gloves and lead guards that wrap around our necks to protect our thyroid glands. All of these things are very heavy, and it is hard to hold small animals still with the bulky gloves, but it keeps us safe. It all looks pretty scary when we have it on. I wonder what the animals must think.

Well there you have it a look inside the radiology room, not too scary right. I hope you enjoyed it and learned something.



1 comment:

linda said...

I imagine with the gloves, aprons etc., you might look a little scary to some of your patients. When I saw the gloves in the photo I thought of Frankenstein~